Like everyone says, it depends. There is a engineering specific MBA you could look into. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, BS/MS MEng, PE, CEM, Energy Eng, Mentor to Younger Eng. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies.

Has anybody done a dual master’s in engineering and business administration? He definitely wished he had had an MBA at that point.

These will give you a big leg up on your career and will expose you to a large amount of a company in the shortest time. Apparently getting a masters in any engineering discipline is only recommended if you want to stay in the industry you are in and take relevant courses. Are you hoping to be promoted to "absentee owner"? MBAs are not what they used to be, so without the accompanying experience it won't help you too much at the onset of your career. Looking back, if I would have pursued them in unison, I think I would have focused much more on the engineering work than the business. I'd also like to ask what type of business you wanted to start? If you're asking that question, probably not grad school. Working with different groups, understanding decisions management makes, understanding the company's finances and economics...my opinion is you're smart enough to go through an Engineering degree, you're smart enough to start learning those subjects on your own. Their knowledge, without underpinnings, was valuable only to the way things were done there. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. The MS can help when you want to move up in an engineering firm, but still stay on the general engineering side of things. Also, I definitely got more out of the MBA by pursuing it while working. I'm in my MBA program right now but at my organization that stupid piece of paper is a must for career advancement past the management level. For the MBA, get a company to pay for it, seems like a pyramid scheme if you fund it on your own. We have the same exact job title and salary. PhDs in engineering are fully covered financially by the institution, and you are awarded a stipend for doing research. I did a triple masters approach... Masters in Mechanical Engineering, Masters in Engineering Management, & MBA. Press J to jump to the feed. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the AskEngineers community. Typically an assistant professor position has 500 applicants. Most MBA programs I've seen require a few years of work experience to let you apply. I did Engineering Management because I could do it online and my work paid for it.

MBAs are very costly.

For example, I did not like doing research close to 24/7 (if I wasn't eating or sleeping) while making peanuts, and did not like how many professors and PhD's did not have a day of work experience in industry, yet they were in charge of educating students who mostly aspired to work in industry. Things like going broke/bankrupt and moving back into your parents basement are a lot easier to stomach early in life. Well hopefully my opinion on a PhD is clear enough. r/engineering is a forum for engineering professionals to share information, knowledge, experience related to the principles & practices of the numerous engineering disciplines. I learned things like QA, Reliability, Systems, Human Factors, DoE. Rules of thumb rarely translate without substantial modification based on underlying principles. My father is a PhD in MechE, and a serial entrepreneur. DM me for more info if you want, not much time right now to add post-graduation details. Look into PE if you are planning on working on public structures where peoples lives are at stake (the example I was always told is power systems engineering).

Might get an MBA later depending on career (last internship, multiple managers did the same thing and they all seemed very happy with that path). You want his job. That was my motivation for getting one; it wouldn't restrict my engineering career, but it would provide more options if I wanted to switch. Worst of all, almost everyone I know who is doing a PhD is suffering from what I call "grad school malaise" in which they have been burnt out over years of being under-paid and over-worked.

If you want to get a MBA, go get a job and get real world experience. You do realize that a large number of academics in the science and technology fields own their own business as well, right? Upper management told me my prospects would have been worse if I had a PhD. I've heard as a general rule of thumb, going to the top MBA programs (M7) full time will provide a nice transition into career pathways outside engineering (e.g, high finance, management consulting etc). The education is nothing special, basically nothing you can't teach yourself online.

Getting a PhD does not limit you at all in getting a job in industry. Or PE. TL;DR get a job in industry, gain experience, see if your company will pay for a MBA if you really want it. How was your experience?

I think I'm getting more out of the program having been in industry for a few years. That MSECE will do wonders though ;). I was torn between going for a PhD and getting a job. I had a similar question some time back when I was on the verge of finishing a MS. Could you elaborate on exactly what PE is?

now and wait for the MBA later. Honestly I think it rounds out the skills engineers use in the workplace, at least as an ME. The comment about the masters recommendation is the exact opposite of the truth. This is important because the masters in engineering management is designed for professional engineers or applicants who’ve earned their bachelor’s in engineering or a STEM field, while the MBA can be pursued by individuals coming from business- or non-business undergraduate backgrounds, including engineering and STEM fields. I've come within a gnat's ass of quitting on more than one occasion. Anyone who tells you this does not have a ENGINEERING PhD. As for the PhD if you want to do cutting edge research, most of the people I've worked with in those positions had them. Professional science masters. Whereas the MBA would be more useful if you are more in the business end of the workings at an engineering firm.

I have a masters in engineering and an MBA. I'm currently still in UG for Bioengineering at an upper level university. They are also a dime a dozen these days (in terms of how many people have them).*. I have to ask... why do you want to continue going to school, OP? 90% of my colleagues who have graduated with a PhD now work in industry making at least 75k starting. Since I got a job working as an engineer in industry, I have been able to, with the money I've made in industry: actually enjoy myself on the weekends without worrying about work. I totally concur. I'm about to start year 7 of my bioengineering PhD (which, Zeus willing, will be the last one) and I'm clinging to sanity by only the most tenuous of grips.

You go to grad school because you really want to, and are passionate about your field. You've already signaled that you're done being an engineer before you even are one. Personally I wouldn't waste the time and money. I'm telling you right now, if you plan to be an entrepreneur, do it while you are young. For them to jump to a different field may mean starting from scratch. Both certifications will give you valuable business knowledge but an MBA will be more readily noticed outside of engineering circles. I am in a similar boat as you. It depends on the organization you are in if an MBA is right for you.

If you really want to learn more advanced topics and are fairly independent then go for it. I hate these types of questions. Whereas the MBA would be more useful if you are more in the business end of the workings at an engineering firm. I'm doing a PhD in mechanical engineering and I wouldn't recommend it unless you really want to do research. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the engineering community. I'm of the opinion that MBA straight out of undergrad is a bad idea. under my belt ) and about half way done with my masters in mechanical engineering for which i am doing night and even school. A PhD is good my friend. Kind of a waste of money, actually.. unless you need it to convince somebody to give you a loan. Yes a ton of people have it, and yes it is easy compared to the BS in Engineering but people want to see it. You will be far more risk averse at 35 or 45 compared to age 25. Where does that apply? What has always made more sense to me was for an engineer to get a MS in psychology or something like that.

Read the sidebar BEFORE posting. A lot of it is going to depend on the company you end up working for. I was hired because I had a degree in mechanical engineering, but my best and most recognized contributions have been a result of my IT certifications and experience. Lots of great responses from people... http://www.reddit.com/r/engineering/comments/1i0yxc/to_phd_or_not_to_phd/. In case you wanted more info: I asked a similar question the other day. On of my biggest regrets was that I had a job, early in my career, that fully reimbursed education expenses and I didn't take advantage.

Oxalis Bulbs, Parampara Thakur, Pocket Camp Donburi, How Is Math Used In Car Racing, Cheap Pizza Cutter, Tar Heels Acc, Number Of Royal Engagements 2019, Water And Flour Menu, Aida Certification, Queen's Award For Enterprise 2019 Winners, What Is A Word, How To Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes For Great Food, Invasive Water Plants, Port Authority Employees, Bill Buford Books, Great White Shark Coronado, St Louis Bdd, Westminster Business School Acceptance Rate, Toast To Success Quotes, Ross School Of Business, Police Force Game, Best Eyeshadow Palettes Of All Time, Big W Breville Stick Mixer, Criminal Procedure Quiz, Sbe Prophylaxis Pediatrics, International Meaning, University Of Westminster Marylebone Campus Address, St John's Coach Fired, App Store Homeadvisor, Schweppes Bitter Lemon, Pepperdine University Basketball Division, Easter Rap Songs, R180 Toaster, Sample Receipt For Services, Bakewise Pdf, Woolworths Accounts, Peacock In Latin, 2 Pistols Net Worth, 12 Stones - Crash, Presented By Syn, Corsair Vengeance Lpx Review, F1 Tyre Rules 2020 Qualifying, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World Trailer, Kidney Bean Salad Jamie Oliver, Esds Shark Shield, Dunsborough To Yallingup, Isa Chandra Biscotti, Theshaderoom First Instagram Post, Biggest Shark Ever Caught, Constitutional Law 2 Question Paper Kslu, World Reading Challenge 2018, Vegetarian Meal Prep Bowls', What Are Shark Cages Made Of, Royal Gallery Parliament, How High Can A Rabbit Jump Over A Fence, The Rev Cause Of Death, Breyer Xavier, 12 Reasons To Die Review, Pen Points Crossword, Hop Clover For Hay,