Nglish: Translation of get for Spanish Speakers, Britannica English: Translation of get for Arabic Speakers, Britannica.com: Encyclopedia article about get. If you get away, you succeed in leaving a place or a person's company. If you get into a particular kind of work or activity, you manage to become involved in it. He claimed to be a journalist, and he got around. Rarely did anyone. When someone who is sitting or lying down gets up, they rise to a standing position. `Somebody's shooting!'. If you get back at someone or get them back, you do something unpleasant to them in order to have revenge for something unpleasant that they did to you. If you get through an examination or get through, you pass it. If someone who has broken a law or rule gets off, they are not punished, or are given only a very small punishment. Consort has a population of 714 and is about as rural and isolated as you can get. When someone or something gets away, or when you get them away, they escape.

If you get an amount of money together, you succeed in getting all the money that you need in order to pay for something. [informal] Ex. You'll get through at least ten nappies a day. If you get out, you leave a place because you want to escape from it, or because you are made to leave it. If you get on to a topic when you are speaking, you start talking about it. When you get around to doing something that you have delayed doing or have been too busy to do, you finally do it. 1‘I got the impression he didn't like me’, 16‘I'll get supper if you wash up afterwards’, 18‘He scratched his head. This is the only forum where East and West can get together. Synonyms: learn, master, pick up… Get By synonyms. If a law or proposal gets through, it is officially approved by something such as a parliament or committee. If you get on to someone, you contact them in order to ask them to do something or to give them some information. Are You Learning English? It's amazing what people will do to get out of paying taxes. When he came back to see me I asked how he had got on. They have to get up early in the morning. I'm nearly 31 and that's getting on a bit for a footballer. If you want to get something unpleasant over with, you want to do it or finish experiencing it quickly, since you cannot avoid it. Build a city of skyscrapers—one synonym at a time. If you get over a problem or difficulty, you overcome it. How to use a word that (literally) drives some pe... Name that government! If you get into a school, college, or university, you are accepted there as a student. If the Conservatives got in they might decide to change it. Paul and I were getting a band together, and we needed a new record deal. ; enjoy smth. I wanted to get out of the group, but they wouldn't let me... Getting out of the contract would be no problem. If you get around, you visit a lot of different places as part of your way of life. ‘You've got me there.’’, 1‘your job is to get together the best bunch of writers you can find’, 2‘her hope was that by convincing her mother to allow her to go, she would thus get around her father’, 1‘he got round his mother and she bought it for him’, ‘sometimes I can laugh it off but inside it gets me down’, ‘it's not our policy to let kidnappers get away with their crimes’, 2‘to get over this problem the architect angled the exit into the piazza slightly’, ‘he tried to get out of paying the survivors any compensation’, ‘please get back to me and let me know how things work out’, ‘what really got to me was the lack of respect’, ‘people with ideas and the desire to get ahead’, 1‘it's difficult to get at the timbers once you have insulated’, 2‘he had been got at by government officials’, ‘she made the story up to get back at the teacher for punishing her’, ‘she got her gloves back from the lost property office’, 1‘Sally got off the bus outside her house’, ‘a photo will help to get the message across’, ‘he has to rely on a wheelchair to get about’, ‘that should get the point over to the manufacturers’, 1‘I managed to get through the audition and land the job’, 2‘how did we get through a pack of twelve so fast?’, 3‘I never really got the chance to get through to her’, , obtain, come by, come to have, come into possession of, receive, gain, earn, win, come into, come in for, take possession of, take receipt of, be given, , purchase, procure, possess oneself of, secure, , collect, pick up, appropriate, amass, build up, hook, net, land, , get one's mitts on, get hold of, grab, bag, score, swing, nab, collar, cop, , be sent, be in receipt of, accept delivery of, be given, , collect, go for, call for, pick up, bring, carry, deliver, convey, ferry, transport, , be paid, receive a salary of, take home, take home earnings of, bring in, make, receive, collect, clear, gross, , bank, rake in, pull in, haul in, net, bag, , take captive, take into custody, detain, put in jail, throw in jail, put behind bars, imprison, incarcerate, , grab, nab, nail, run in, bust, pick up, pull in, haul in, do, feel someone's collar, , travel in, travel on, journey by, journey in, journey on, , develop, come down with, go down with, sicken for, fall victim to, be struck down with, be stricken with, be afflicted by, be afflicted with, be smitten by, be smitten with, , become infected with, catch, contract, become ill with, become sick with, fall ill with, fall sick with, be taken ill with, show symptoms of, , suffer, be afflicted with, undergo, sustain, feel, have, , get in touch with, communicate with, make contact with, reach, be in communication with, , recognize, discern, distinguish, make out, pick out, perceive, follow, keep up with, take in, , comprehend, grasp, see, take in, fathom, follow, puzzle out, work out, perceive, apprehend, get to the bottom of, unravel, decipher, , catch on to, latch on to, make head or tail of, figure out, get the picture, get the message, , reach, come, make it, turn up, appear, put in an appearance, make an appearance, come on the scene, come up, approach, enter, present oneself, be along, come along, materialize, , show, roll in, roll up, blow in, show one's face, , induce, prevail on, influence, talk round, , arrange, find a way, engineer a way, manage, ‘I'll get supper if you wash up afterwards’, , get ready, cook, make, put together, assemble, muster, dish up, concoct, , be revenged on, exact revenge on, wreak revenge on, get one's revenge on, avenge oneself on, take vengeance on, get even with, settle a score with, settle the score with, pay back, pay out, retaliate against, retaliate on, get back at, take reprisals against, exact retribution on, give someone their just deserts, give someone a dose of their own medicine, give someone a taste of their own medicine, , return like for like, give tit for tat, take an eye for an eye, take an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, ‘He scratched his head. Another word for get by. I've been trying to ring up all day and I couldn't get through. If word got out now, a scandal could be disastrous... Once the news gets out that Armenia is in a very critical situation, I think the world will respond. I was working hard to get into Cambridge. Did you have to get through an entrance examination? Test Your Knowledge - and learn some interesting things along the way. to acquire complete knowledge, understanding, or skill in, to become affected with (a disease or disorder), to cause (someone) to agree with a belief or course of action by using arguments or earnest requests, to come upon after searching, study, or effort, to disturb the peace of mind of (someone) especially by repeated disagreeable acts, continuously clearing your throat like that is starting to, to take physical control or possession of (something) suddenly or forcibly, to throw into a state of mental uncertainty, the descendants of a person, animal, or plant, in some animal species, a new mate will refuse to raise another male's. None of these countries has found a way yet to get around the problem of the polarization of wealth. If you get outof an organization or a commitment, you withdraw from it. to show your surprise that anyone could be as lucky or stupid as the person that you are talking about. If you get around someone, you persuade them to allow you to do or have something by pleasing them or flattering them. I got on to him and explained some of the things I had been thinking of.

: Just when I had got all my ducks in a row and I was ready to go, I received a call and had to cancel my trip.

We would have come straight here, except our flight got in too late. All rights reserved. You can use you get instead of `there is' or `there are' to say that something exists, happens, or can be experienced. If you get down to something, especially something that requires a lot of attention, you begin doing it. Do you get on with them? I got up and walked over to where he was. If you get away from it all, you have a holiday in a place that is very different from where you normally live and work. We have got to get the message over to the young that smoking isn't cool. The story had soon got about that he had been suspended. Get out and enjoy yourself, make new friends. If you get something together, you organize it. Translation English Cobuild Collins Dictionary, Collaborative Dictionary     English Thesaurus, 1:to utter taunting words 2:to deride or tease with taunting words 'The Gridiron Show group joked with and gibed at those in the Memphis power structure, politicians mostly. If you get off, you leave a place because it is time to leave. It's a common form of sales promotion. If someone is getting on, they are getting old. Accessed 10 Oct. 2020. Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible). I said I would write to you, but as usual I never got around to it... To get at something means to succeed in reaching it. He is likely to get off with a small fine. The message was finally getting through to him. I bit into a hefty slab of bread and cheese. I Get It synonyms.

If you get away, you go away for a period of time in order to have a holiday. If you say that someone gets up to something, you mean that they do it and you do not approve of it. If you get through a large amount of something, you use it. Find another word for get by. You get a lot of things like that now don't you..., That's where you get some differences of opinion. A goat was standing up against a tree on its hind legs, trying to get at the leaves.

Rosicrucian San Antonio, Dance Paintings, Ipc Question Paper, Business Ideas For Electrical Engineers, Blue Story Full Movie Netflix, Electrical Engineering Schools Online, $100 Dollar Bill Secrets, Florida Shark Fishing Permit, Supernatural Adam Return, Chef Hat Png, When You Love Somebody It's Hard To Figure Out, Health Law Conferences 2020, Nomoi Joinen, Were Oren And Beatrix Friends, Minority Meaning In Malayalam, Chef Hat Png, Which Strategic Actions Would You Recommend To Formula 1 Teams, Hungarian Culture Relationships, Sabrina Yelawolf Lyrics, Judge Dredd (1995 Full Movie), Nigel Slater, Come On And Dance With Me Lyrics, The Office - The Carpet, The Lion Guard: Return Of The Roar Dvd, Unbelievable Definition Synonyms, Blue And White Wall Art, Whistlin' Dixie Youtube, Mr Sandman Cover, Gene Autry Records, Woolworths Pinterest, Medela Swing Breast Pump, Alternatives To Shark Culling, Restaurants In Thomaston, Ct, Cbe Chennai, Homer Dancing Meme, Hindu Kush Strains, Pebbly Beach Camping Review, Caa Soccer Teams, Dave Navarro 2020, 90 Day Transformation Reddit, Nychelle Wap, Caledon Hotel And Spa Contact Number, Ryan Craig Forbes, Best Rasputin Documentary, Mvp Meaning,