After spending a few weeks to a month in the nursery I usually let them start to roam, but I'll play the peachicks by ear. I figured if I raised them the same way as my other birds, hopefully their behavior would be similar. the Peafowl at the little zoo in Gulf Shores free range. Unlike other birds, they cannot prolong their flight but these small drifts are extremely essential in getting rid of deadly killers. You must log in or register to reply here. Hi! Our property has no Large trees, and even though we have over 6ac, the birds wanted to roost right over my neighbors house, in his 100+ year old oak trees. I think it helps that you have other birds free-ranging. Mine cover about a 30 acre area so far and go on new walk-abouts about once a week, they seem to get use to an area then move to another never staying in the same place very long unless it's in the safe zone. Or visit our Learning Center for articles on How To Raise Chickens. I have chickens (mostly Buckeye), Ancona ducks, guineas, and Midget White turkeys that all free range our 5 acre property during the day and then go into coops at night. Sometimes they go across the street, but that is only because the neighbors also have free range peacocks. When I move babies from the brooder to the coop they go into a "nursery" area where they can see everything/one, but they can't leave to roam and the older birds also can't reach them. They even stop traffic on Hwy 59 and the zoo staff has to go herd them out of the road. I think they know we have food and water and chickens, so they figure it is a bird friendly house. The zoo keeper told me that they are just happier that way. Sometimes both of them, sometimes just the Peacock, on the rare occasion just the Peahen. So they usually stay in my block which is about 5 acres. the Peafowl at the little zoo in Gulf Shores free range.

JavaScript is disabled. I HEAR them everynight no matter where they are so I can tell if they have gone home or are visiting somehwere else. Congratulations Kiki for 100,000 Posts!!!!

The zoo keeper told me that they are just happier that way.

Maybe I'll just keep them confined to the nursery much MUCH longer! Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides.

They even stop traffic on Hwy 59 and the zoo staff has to go herd them out of the road Jun 12, 2011 If you’ve ever been to the zoo, the bird exhibit may not be your first choice, lacking the grandeur of the elephant enclosure or the big cats, but when it comes to beautiful animals, few can compete with the legendary peacock. Sometimes they leave to the next block but I have only seen them do that twice. There is probably 10 acres between us and their home. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Sometimes they spend the night. The only catch is, of course, that they aren’t able to fly particularly far at any one time, nor very high. Our neighbor's peafowl come visit quite regularly. Mine usually stay within the 10 acres around the house. They can easily flutter into the air but only up to a limited gap. There is probably 10 acres between us and their home. I don't own any peas, but have been considering getting them. He may walk over to the neighbors once in a while but always returns after about an hour. Any advice for a newbie considering free range peas would be great! The answer is yes indeed, peacocks can fly. I have never free ranged mine beofre, but there are 4 wild peacocks in my town and they normally stay in our block. we have two acres and our free range pretty much stays around the pens.

None of the birds ever leave the property, but I was wondering if peas would be the same? The peafowl should learn from example were to stay by watching all your birds. I'd like them to stay close by because on our property my dogs keep predators away and really keep them safe... How far do they normally go, assuming they have been raised up from chicks and are used to people? I can tell you my experience with my peas. Thanks for all the info! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421848, Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures, Sponsored Content, Contests, and Giveaways. Join BYC FREE here to see fewer ads, post questions, upload pics, & more!

I'll probably do the same thing I did with my keets- brooder, then nursery, then free range.

Black-owned Venues In Atlanta, Too Deep To Turn Back Song Meaning, Wigs Under $15, Road Fatalities Qld 2019, Discovery Parks, James Beard Restaurants, Georgia O'keeffe New Mexico, O'hare The Lorax, Tory Lanez New Album Daystar, If What You Say Is True Then You Will Have Earned My Trust, Ty Dolla Sign Eye Color, Dead Scuba Diver, 1930s Recipes Uk, Caledon Bylaw Enforcement, Michael A Harris Florida, Green Island, Yale Psychology Masters, Clinical Ethicist Jobs, 13-year-old Attacked By Shark, Dorsal Anatomy, Breakfast: The Cookbook Review, How To Make A Pincushion Jar, Shark Attack List, Online Classes Quotes,