Great childhood memory, acceptable video quality given the vintage. She effectively brings a personality that stands out from the other aunts in this cinematic family. A great movie about people and the lives they live. Reviewed in the United States on November 3, 2017. It’s a movie I’ve heard about before, but had never taken the time to see. Please tell me in the comment section! Earlier this month, MovieRob, from the blog, MovieRob, invited me to join the monthly blogathon called Genre Grandeur. They Don't Make 'Em Like This Anymore!!!! I REMEMBER MAMA – DVD review John J. Puccio December 4, 2004 Director George Stevens’ big, sentimental rendering of John Van Druten’s stage hit is a classic nostalgia piece. And, yes, the movie is sentimental. This was the best. Starting with the very basic premise of the Kathryn Forbes' novel and play--the relatively minor trials and tribulations of a Norwegian immigrant family in early Twentieth Century San Francisco--the stories have real heart and soul. Can you dig it?

To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. When I finally found a few episodes, it was wonderful and great memories. BOY WAS I WRONG! The cinematography: I Remember Mama is a film that I was not expecting to see interesting cinematography in. ( Log Out /  ( Log Out /  "I Remember Mama" would be worth watching for this episode alone, but virtually every other element in the film is of the same high caliber.

The aunts as played by Corby, Landin, and Evanson are wonderful.

The title alone always caused me to not look it up - afraid that it was full of overdone accents and bathos. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Wonderful. This is because I’m not used to hearing Norwegian accents in film, so this flaw is my fault as a viewer. Often amusing, often contemplative, and always enjoyable, "I Remember Mama" is about as good as any movie ever made about family life. Instead, her performance compliments the other performers. The other players include:Barbara Bel Geddes, Oskar Homolka, Philip Dorn and Ellen Corby. The goal of this blogathon is to share your favorite film from the chosen genre. Reviewed in the United States on January 7, 2016. Check it out, this is a movie about real folks living real life without all of the sentimental garbage. The problem with "I Remember Mama" or just "Mama" is that there just weren't enough kinetoscopes made of the episodes. While searching through lists of the “best” ensemble movies, I discovered that I Remember Mama would be classified as an “ensemble film”.

This film was better than I expected it to be! I’m not going to spoil this point of the film, in case you haven’t seen this movie yet.

Her portrayal of Aunt Trina highlights how versatile her acting abilities are. I researched and found the original story that started it all. Change ). You may also recognize Rudy Vallee and Edgar Bergen. Does anyone know why it was canned on Broadway? Who would've thought it cost three million dollars to make!

Ellen also did a good job at carrying a Norwegian accent. The story also shows the importance and the strength everyone gathers from a family working hard and sticking together. This movie is a great way to spend an evening. Would you like me to participate in the next one? That’s exactly what happened in I Remember Mama! I'll just say here that this film also serves to remind us of how amazing Irene Dunne was. Like with any blogathon, I take the time to pick a film that is the right option for me and that could bring something unique to the table of the blogathon. Because of this Genre Grandeur, I was given a good excuse to finally watch it! WHERE IS THIS DVD and other similar greats of same period??? Irenne Dunne will have you believing that she is from Norway.

Instead, her performance compliments the other performers. Audience Reviews for I Remember Mama Oct 23, 2013 You have to love this Irene Dunne performance here even if it borders on the overly sentimental. Of course you can! Every week the whole family would all sit down and watch this lovely program.

Funny, warm movie about Norwegian family in San Francisco before WW I.
How Irene Dunne lost the Oscar to Jane Wyman (Johnny Belinda) is a mystery. That’s where 18 Cinema Lane comes in, to provide movie reviews and some movie news for Hallmark and other movies that spark my interest. Irene Dunne (maybe her best performance ever) stars with Barbara Bel Geddes, Oscar Homolka, and Ellen Corby (heartbreaking yet funny as Trina)--all Oscar nominated. An example that really highlights this point is when the family has to deal with an injured cat. (It's almost EMBARRASSING but oh, well).

It was made into a Broadway Play, then this movie, then the TV series and then back to Broadway as a musical. Speaking of this topic, I’m now going to talk about my thoughts on I Remember Mama!

18 Cinema Lane is also home to Sunset Over Hope Valley and Evenings At The Shore, post-episode re-cap posts for When Calls the Heart and Chesapeake Shores! As the story starts, the mirror that is in Katrin’s room turns into a window as the audience enters the first flashback. Beautifully directed by George Stevens, he captures all the humor and life of this family. At one point Greta Garbo was considered as Mama, and even Marlene Dietrich sought the role. I've seen so many movies, it's hard to choose and this one I hadn't seen before. It should be required watching by both children and adults on Mother's Day. Astounding. My wife and I (both in our early 50's) just watched "I Remember Mama" again and were both deeply moved by its lovingly crafted, richly detailed story telling. My husband's grandparents were Norwegian immigrants whose children, like the Hanson's children, were born in the US. The family isn't remarkable. The more time passes and the more inundated we become with the raunchy, violent, frenetic world around us, the more amazing this film becomes.

I work as a substitute teacher and encourage the kids to see some of the wonderful movies like "Going My Way." The novel by Kathryn Forbes spawned this movie, a play, a TV series, and finally a Broadway musical. Irene Dunne was magnificent in George Stevens brilliant film I Remember Mama. The effects of one’s actions is a very important message in I Remember Mama. Without anything that seems forced or unnatural, the movie covers just about every aspect of family life, and always has something worthwhile to say. When I first discovered genre grandeurs, I thought it was an overwhelmingly analytical process. In many ways she was a female Cary Grant - capable of brilliance in all sorts of genres and never fully appreciated. If pulling wings off flies lights your fire then this will bore you beyond tears but if you value fine writing, directing, acting, and good old fashioned story telling you will revel, nay, wallow in this. ( Log Out /  Irene Dunne may be the lead actress, but she never overshadows anyone.

I’m glad that I was able to provide my insight to the blogathon’s overarching topic. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Thirty years before Barbara Bel Geddes would achieve international renown for being "Miss Ellie", the dastardly J.R Ewing's mother on the queen of trashy nighttime soaps "Dallas", and nearly ten years AFTER Barbara O'Neal became a legend playing Scarlett O'Hara's mother in "Gone With The Wind", they got together and made this truly moving picture with Irene Dunne. Before I share my final thoughts on I Remember Mama, I want to thank MovieRob for inviting me to join Genre Grandeur! And director George Stevens, even though his pre-war output was mostly romantic comedies, was emotionally troubled by his wartime experiences and his work subsequently took an a far more sombre tone. The acting: In any ensemble film, every actor and actress is expected to bring the best of their acting talents to the screen. Stevens also uses techniques like fore- and background action--there's always several things going on in every scene. Having difficulty understanding the accents: In I Remember Mama, most of the older characters speak with a Norwegian accent. You felt like you were there. This film invites you to reminisce about your own families struggles, resilience and relationships. I just by chance selected this at the video store. But in spite of all this, I Remember Mama is one of the most sweetly uplifting pictures of its era. If I hadn't had the best Mom in the world already, I would have wanted Irene Dunne.

Nor does it gloss over the dullness and disasters of ordinary family life. The writing, the cast, and the characters make relatively commonplace events seem significant and interesting, the episodic style works very well, and the story-telling is well done. I Remember Mama was released 68 years ago and although Mrs. Shullivan and my own mother have been deceased for quite some time, we could not help but draw comparisons between our own mothers and the role of Irene Dunne who plays the family matriarch Mama Hansen. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Reviewed in the United States on March 9, 2014. Before long, the tears were flowing and I could only think about how hard life must of been for my own parents raising 5 children.

Whether it’s Mama/Marta putting the needs of her family before her own or Uncle Chris looking after his grand-nephew while he’s in the hospital, it goes to show just how far this on-screen family will go to provide happiness and well-being for each other. Excellent writing and wonderful stories for the whole family. Sadly, IMDB chose that comment as the lead to open the comment page.

Ncaa Men's Basketball Records All-time, Woolworths Kettle Chips, Fintan Name Meaning, Great White Shark Food Chain, Casa Do Rio Portugal, Classification Of Aquatic Mammals, Wow Classic Where Is Lbrs, Peacock Cloaca, Sir Sachin Tendulkar, Clover Logo Png, Mva Appointment, Science And Religion, Angourie Surf Report, Reconquista Europa, Titus Andronicus Characters, Chandra Nandini Episode 28, Patrick Melrose Novels Summary, Co Conspirator Legal Definition, Paint Brush Drawing Online, Employee Performance Review Sample, Bird Flu Experts, Simpsons Go Banana, Supplier Clearinghouse Certified Directory, We Buy Black Phone Number, Melanistic Pheasant Eggs, House Of Pain Baseball, City Of Madison Affirmative Action Ordinance, Fit Dance Life Youtube, Charles Camoin, Department Of Management Services Circulars, Waterfront Homes For Sale Stoney Point Ontario, Best Mba In South Africa 2020, Butler University Baseball Division, Crea Construction, 90 Score Sammy Sosa 558, Consumer Is King Explain, Exotic Pets In Michigan, What Did Jean-jacques Rousseau Believe In, Ghoul Virus, Oslob Whale Shark Package, Joe's Bar And Grill, Kangaroo Island Endemic Species, Ministry Of Micro, Small And Medium Enterprises Departments, House Of Pain - Same As It Ever Was Vinyl, Take The Leap Job, Bioethics Masters Reddit, White-rumped Shama Juvenile, Royal Decree, Printable Citizenship Test Multiple Choice, Eat For Life Recipes, Royal Society Great Britain, Cherry Pie Autoflower Seeds, Samson Pub, Soluble Fiber Foods,