I've not yet read Kathryn Forbes' other (more famous) book, MAMA'S BANK ACCOUNT, but I'm planning to start it soon. I've not yet read Kathryn Forbes' other (more famous) book, MAMA'S BANK ACCOUNT, but I'm planning to start it soon. TRANSFER POINT.

It reminded me a bit of A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. Harcourt, Brace; 1st Edition (January 1, 1947), no nearly what I expected from this author, Reviewed in the United States on December 14, 2018. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. There was a problem loading your book clubs. No_Favorite.

Kathryn Forbes, née Kathryn Anderson le 20 mars 1908 à San Francisco, en Californie, et morte dans la même ville le 15 mai 1966, est une romancière et nouvelliste américaine. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. Common terms and phrases. Please try again. Flag this item for. If published today it would have flown off the teen, 'tween, or children's library and bookstore shelves, but in 1947 it languished in the stacks of novels published for adults. 1947 share. flag. EMBED (for wordpress.com hosted blogs and archive.org item tags) Want more? It reminded me a bit of A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. [17], Jean Baumgartner, "Meet the Author: Kathryn Forbes," San Francisco Chronicle, May 23, 1943, p 13. In 1948, a film version of the play was released by RKO Pictures and starred Irene Dunne as Mama and Barbara Bel Geddes as her daughter, an aspiring writer.

The story follows... Young Allie Barton growing up in San Francisco, 1919-1921.

In 1947, Forbes published Transfer Point,[14] regarding the daughter of divorced parents. Her parents are separated, and the novel describes her torn loyalties between mother and father in a way that foreshadows the later problem novels about children of divorce. TRANSFER POINT is told from the POV of a young girl, but it's not a children's book. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. Forbes also published novel called Transfer Point, about a daughter of divorced parents. Although the protagonist is a child, this is an adult book. We’d love your help.

Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. [2][3], Forbes was a radio scriptwriter[4][5] before she began writing short stories. To see what your friends thought of this book.

Reminds me of my family history and people interested in genealogy would find it interesting. Kathryn married Robert McLean, a carpenter, with whom she had two sons. San Franciscans would probably enjoy it for the setting, but it's not a required. Welcome back. I was able to get this out from the library in the meantime. The story is darker and more complicated than Forbes' MAMA'S BANK ACCOUNT. The 195 page book was a page-turner with no wasted words or events. Forbes moved to an apartment[15] in San Francisco, California, to be near her physician. This coming-of-age book would feel right-at-home with today's young people. Please try again. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Even so, her "voice" is that of a ten-year-old, taking everything as it comes and solving situations as. [6] Mama's Bank Account,[7][8][9] her best-known work, was published in 1943 and revolved around the daily struggles and aspirations of a Norwegian family living in San Francisco in the 1910s. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published We work hard to protect your security and privacy. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. See all formats and editions Hide other formats and editions. The protagonist is a spunky 10 year old girl whose parents are "separated". [12], Forbes' novel was twice turned into a stage musical. GET WEEKLY BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS: Email Address Subscribe Tweet ... Bay, or the sadistic lodger who was the star boarder. Transfer Point Kathryn Forbes Snippet view - 1947. If published today it would have flown off the teen, 'tween, or children's library and bookstore shelves, but in 1947 it languished in the stacks of novels published for adults. The book inspired first a play, then a movie, and finally a TV series, all called I Remember Mama. The story is darker and more complicated than Forbes' MAMA'S BANK ACCOUNT. Unlike Mama's Bank Account, which drew on the experiences of her Norwegian-born grandmother, this novel was closer to Forbes' actual childhood. Please try again. In 1947, Forbes published Transfer Point, regarding the daughter of divorced parents. EMBED. Unlike Mama's Bank Account, which drew on the experiences of her Norwegian-born grandmother, this novel was closer to Forbes' actual childhood. It's set in San Francisco, 1919-1921, and centers around the precocious Allie Barton, who sleeps in her shoes because it takes too long to lace them up in the morning. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. This was mistakenly shelved in the children's section of Powell's. This was considered to have been based on Forbes' own childhood. It's set in San Francisco, 1919-1921, and centers around the precocious Allie Barton, who sleeps in her shoes because it takes too long to lace them up in the morning. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. The book focused on the warmhearted family and its struggles and dreams. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. San Franciscans would probably enjoy it for the setting, but it's not a required read. Transfer Point Item Preview remove-circle Share or Embed This Item . I never knew that Kathryn Forbes had written another book (besides the beloved Mama's Bank Account) until Susann shared this novel with me. Start by marking “Transfer Point” as Want to Read: Error rating book. Price New from Used from Hardcover "Please retry" $18.11 . Transfer Point by Kathryn Forbes.

Bryan Washington on Father Figures and Other Complicated Relationships. The first, adapted by Neal Du Brock and John Clifton, opened in Buffalo, New York, in 1972 with Celeste Holm in the role of Mama.

Inspire a love of reading with Prime Book Box for Kids. [10], Forbes' book served as the inspiration for John Van Druten's 1944 play I Remember Mama.

Imagine the Bicycle Thief crossed with Ramona the Pest and you have a good idea of the tone of Transfer Point. There's lots going on around her that she doesn't understand, and Kathryn Forbes has handled this beautifully, so that the reader is always seeing things as Allie sees them, and not through adult eyes. Be the first to ask a question about Transfer Point. Allie, like her better known and much loved counter-part Harry Potter, is much mis-treated and mis-understood by the many adults in her life. Biographie. [1], Kathryn Anderson was born in San Francisco in 1908. Allie, like her better known and much loved counter-part Harry Potter, is much mis-treated and mis-understood by the many adults in her life. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account.

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Life in the US was hard for immigrants when they first arrived. I really enjoyed this -- more than I thought I would. Reviewed in the United States on February 23, 2013. [11], Mama, a television series based on the film, was broadcast on CBS from July 1, 1949, to March 17, 1957, and starred Peggy Wood as Mama. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. Transfer point I was able to get this out from the library in the meantime. Her grandmother emigrated to California from Norway in the late 19th century; both of Anderson's parents were native-born Americans.

There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Bryan Washington, the acclaimed author of 2019’s short story collection Lot, has returned with his debut novel, Memorial.

Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.

[16], The Kathryn Forbes McLean Memorial Fund was created shortly after her death to provide funds for improvements to the library which she frequented. Unable to add item to List. A moderately charming coming-of-age story about a working-class daughter of separated parents in 1920 San Francisco, trying to firgure out the strange ways of grown-ups. Amazing that the same author could write 2 such different stories. There's a problem loading this menu right now. It's also narrated by a young girl growing up poor, but unlike Katrin, Allie is exposed to the seamy side of life. The protagonist is a spunky 10 year old girl whose parents are "separated". The writing is good but the storyline is exactly opposite from Mama's Bank Account, in Transfer Point, the child is manipulated by her separated parents, a weak dreamer of a father and a vacuous scheming moneygrubbing mother with various gentlemen boarders in her rooming house, the child is ignored, left to wander the streets at will, hopping streetcars and avoiding paying fares, unwashed, rarely fed on time and only useful to her mother as a prop to make her look good. 8, http://www.sfgayhistory.com/looking-for-mama-the-search-for-kathryn-forbes-childhood-home/, https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/06/20/a-time-enriched-i-remember-mama, http://readingcalifornia.typepad.com/reading_california_fictio/2006/02/mama_bank_accou.html, https://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9C06E3D9173FE23BBC4A52DFB5668383659EDE, http://readingcalifornia.typepad.com/reading_california_fictio/2006/11/transfer_point.html, https://newspaperarchive.com/san-mateo-times-may-16-1966-p-26/, https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/52546198/, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kathryn_Forbes&oldid=978656791, Burials at Holy Cross Cemetery (Colma, California), 20th-century American short story writers, 20th-century American non-fiction writers, Wikipedia articles with SNAC-ID identifiers, Wikipedia articles with SUDOC identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WorldCat identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 16 September 2020, at 06:10. This was mistakenly shelved in the children's section of Powell's. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.

Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in.

Although the protagonist is a child, this is an adult book. Transfer point [Forbes, Kathryn] on Amazon.com. In 1979, Richard Rodgers wrote the music for the second musical version, for which Norwegian actress Liv Ullmann played the role of Mama.[13]. Forbes moved to an apartment in San Francisco, California, to be near her physician. Refresh and try again. Even so, her "voice" is that of a ten-year-old, taking everything as it comes and solving situations as a ten-year-old would. by Harcourt, Brace and Company. She died on May 15, 1966. Kathryn McLean (née Anderson) (March 20, 1908 – May 15, 1966), best known by her pen name Kathryn Forbes, was an American writer and memoirist.

Lucid Dreams Piano Chords Easy, Lyrics Neverland Zendaya, Unethical Behavior Definition, Red Hot Chili Peppers - Greatest Hits Zip, Stone Cold Vs The Rock Wrestlemania 15, Ohio Mbe Certified Company Database, Villanova Basketball Schedule 2020, Ucl Masters Economics Entry Requirements, Dew Point Temperature, Apple Workjam Login, The War With Grandpa Chapter Questions, Near Shark Attack, Redman - Dunfiato Album, St John's Football Live Stream, Customer Service Quotes For Resume, Mr Sandman Cover, Lawless Lawyer Episode 9 Recap, Spearfishing Diving, St George Coaching Staff 2020, Paula Deen Fried Green Tomatoesice Cream Machine Flavors, Doctorate In Ethics, Kingly Splendor With Platinum, Barbri Mini Review, Dreams About Animals That Don't Exist, Vintage Easter Bunny Pics, Cozumel, Mexico All Inclusive, Kathryn Forbes Transfer Point, Byron Bay Surf Season, Hit That Lyrics, House Of Pain Merch, Mvo Definition, Marge Vs The Monorail 9/11, Miskolc Polgármester, Characteristics Of Wood In Construction, Quitarte To, Lbrs Route, Minority Business Development Division Ohio, Weird Southern Foods, Green Hills Restaurants, Smokie Now, Drexel Mechanical Engineering Curriculum, Can A Business Ever Be Successful With A Combined Cost Leadership And Differentiation Strategy, Bookish Products, Fin French Accent, Xula Catalog, Is The Deadly Easter Bunny Real, St Anne Facts, Alexandrine Parrot For Sale In California, Condo For Sale By Owner London, Ontario, Carnac Island Perth, Assad Vala, Swallow The Key, Scottish Grandma Reads Fart Book, Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire Pdf, What National Day Is March 14, Oulton Park Live Timing, Mdot Lansing, Jaanwar Child Cast, Debbie Doo Songs, Clemson Soccer Player, The Turn Of The Screw Characters, Section 234 Schottenstein Center, Best Bait For Bronze Whaler Shark, Cougar Attack Oregon 2020, Multistate Bar Exam Vs Ube, Ghostface Stroke Of Death, Kgf Chapter 1 Release Date, Virginia Basketball Championship Game, 13-year-old Attacked By Shark,