"I went back down to Bunker Bay to have a bit of a look and see where it happened, it was a bit a emotional, I went with my mum and Mish. This article is available to subscribers who have digital access included in their subscription. "I stayed on the board like a stretcher everyone carried me from the beach to a paddock, they laid me down there and waited until the police and paramedics came. Mr Mummert's surfboard was already broken in half, with the back half of the board still attached to his leg by the rope. A 10-year-old boy suffered cuts when a a great white ripped him from a fishing boat about five kilometres offshore from Stanley in north-west Tasmania on July 17. "It really hasn't hit me but I have been talking to a couple of guys who have been attacked before," he said. Mr Mummert's girlfriend Mish Wright was at the beach when the incident occurred, she was walking their dog at the eastern end of Bunker Bay. "They told her she should probably run and brought her up to where I was in the paddock. "Once I was up on his board I don't remember seeing the shark again, it must have swam away by that point," he said.

"I am so grateful to those three guys Alex, Jess and Liam, it was just amazing how they could come towards me with such a big animal there. "It wasn't bleeding that much, Andy held onto my leg putting pressure on it for a good half an hour. "That back half of the board was in between me and the shark," he said. Bunker Bay is a popular tourist spot — this shark was captured on film there in 2015. Lucas Arnott, 10, was standing on the side of the boat when the shark, which CSIRO scientists who examined his life jacket believe was up to 3.7m long, dragged him into the water. "It was so good when those three guys were around me, at that point I knew I was going to be okay." EXECUTIVE SUMMARY. All subscriptions include exclusive subscriber offers, events and giveaways with West Rewards, our subscriber rewards program.

Mr Mummert said since the encounter with a white shark he wasn't sure how he felt about it or whether his mind was trying to block it out. Mr Mummert's surfboard was already broken in half, with the back half of the board still attached to his leg by the rope.

"I have since caught up with them and they are just the best guys. "I really did not see the shark coming at all, I just remember feeling the impact and a massive force when it hit me," he said. "I am so grateful to those three guys Alex, Jess and Liam, it was just amazing how they could come towards me with such a big animal there. Dunsborough surfer Phil Mummert, who was mauled by a great white shark on Friday, has recalled coming face to face with the fierce sea predator and paid tribute to the people who helped save him. "I was trying to keep my eyes on it all time, I did not want it to sneak up on me, I was following it so I could stay looking at it," he said. (Supplied: Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter) Get your bonus Spin to Win codeword on The West! "I was in shock the whole time, there was no point I felt in pain, I guess the shock and adrenaline blocked out the pain. His dad jumped in and scared the shark away, with Lucas spending several days in hospital after surgery for cuts to his arm, chest and head. "I don't remember hearing that at all.

"Not long after that the helicopter arrived and airlifited me to Bunbury hospital. Another surfer Alex Oliver made his way towards Mr Mummert and pulled him up on his board. Image supplied. "The shark was just sitting there and I was just trying to shove the board into its mouth - and that is when I could see just how chunky it was - it was just massive and so wide.". "Two other guys Jess Woolhouse and Liam Ryan made it over to us as well. © West Australian Newspapers Limited 2020. "The next thing I knew I was in the water and the shark was just sitting in front of me. ", https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/S2kBkURjWY7PhPtZJcQ5Zm/2619421c-f7bf-4223-a038-5199b3a169b6.JPG/r0_377_1366_1149_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg, What happened when surfer Phil Mummert came face-to-face with a white shark, How Ray Martin is helping regional media fight for survival, 'Sat in a car park for hours': Mental health advocate shares story of chronic anxiety, 'Absolutely stoked': Dream come true for Peel product drafted to Dockers, 'Living in la la land': Peel region MPs exchange blows over budget. St John Ambulance WA confirmed the attack to … "It was just sitting there pointed straight towards me within arms reach, only 30 centimetres away. South West Disaster and Emergency Sharks WA News Regional WA Busselton-Dunsborough Times Bunker Bay shark attack victim revealed as Phil Mummert Phil Hickey, Jackson Lavell-Lee & Rourke Walsh The West Australian Fri, 31 July 2020 2:56AM

"Once we got to the beach one of the guys Andy clamped his hands around my leg and held on for the entire time until the paramedics arrived.

Another surfer Alex Oliver made his way towards Mr Mummert and pulled him up on his board.

Credit: 7NEWS A Dunsborough surfer has had a miraculous escape from the jaws of a massive great white shark. "There are a few guys who are definitely pretty rattled having a front row seat to the incident. "I told a couple of the guys you have to go and get my Mrs she is down there with the dog," he said.

Mr Mummert has since been told when the incident occurred someone had yelled out shark. "The shark was just sitting there and I was just trying to shove the board into its mouth - and that is when I could see just how chunky it was - it was just massive and so wide." "I was surfing at The Farm when I felt a huge impact that knocked me off my board into the water," he said. Phil Mummert was thrown into the fight of his life last week when he was mauled while surfing at Bunker Bay beach near Dunsborough in WA’s South West. Phil Mummert was thrown into the fight of his life last week when he was mauled while surfing at Bunker Bay beach near Dunsborough in WA’s South West. WA shark attack survivor Phil Mummert has revealed he called on the experience of Australian surfing champ Mick Fanning after he was set upon by a five-metre great white on Friday. "That back half of the board was in between me and the shark," he said. I just tried to keep that board between me and him. "I pushed it away with my hand and felt how rough its skin was, I tried to kick it at one point, I tried to do anything to keep it away.". ", Dunsborough surfer Phil Mummert was bitten and knocked off his surfboard by a white shark at Bunker Bay around 2.15pm on July 31, 2020. Shark spotted in water just before attack Bunker Bay is a popular, picturesque beach not far from the tourist town of Dunsborough in WA's South West region.

"I don't know if it had sunk in what was happening, while it was sitting there I was like, oh yup this is happening.". WA shark attack survivor Phil Mummert has revealed he channelled the experience of Australian surfing champ Mick Fanning after he was set upon by a five-metre great white on Friday. "It wasn't until we got onto the beach that I turned around to see the damage," he said.

"I don't know if it was instinct or what, I do not even remember thinking about it, I just knew if I kept that board between us maybe I would be okay. "I didn't hear them it must have been the same second it hit me," he said. So far this year, there have been five fatal shark attacks in Australian waters. "The next thing I knew I was in the water and the shark was just sitting in front of me. "At the moment I am feeling okay. "She handled everything really well and could see everyone was looking after me and everything was under control, she was super calm about it." Family says shark victim ‘knew the risks’ of surfing, More COVID restrictions possible if WA border opens, On demand: Bunbury defeat Busselton in SWFL GF, Safe State Budget missed a chance for reform, Man tasered in dramatic Forrestfield arrest, BHP-chartered ship cargo in potential virus outbreak, Search for surfer called off with family’s ‘blessing’. "I just tried to shove that bit of board into its mouth, I just knew if he was biting on that it would not be biting on me. "They got me on the green whistle so I never had much pain at all.".

"It was so good when those three guys were around me, at that point I knew I was going to be okay.". "The guys were trying to block it and told me, no you don't want to look at it. Andrej Kultan and Steve Hopkins reported that a shark attacked their boat at Castle Rock beach, in the West Australian town of Dunsborough, about 5pm on Saturday.

Colorado Bar Exam 2021, Balmoral Beach Shark Net, Mothers Milk Walmart, Bondi Rescue Season 13 Episode 1 Dailymotion, Joan Baez House Of The Rising Sun, Boynton Beach Fl, How To Get To Kingfisher Bay Resort, Coles Delivery Fee, Harvard Course Catalog Pdf, Easy Family Recipes, Margaret Thatcher: The Autobiography, Swimming With Sharks Trailer, Forms Of Competition For Nurse Practitioners, What Muscles Do Bunny Hops Work, Supernatural Adam Return, Black Plates, Delmonico Steakhouse Houston, Leopold, Duke Of Albany Wife, Jai Mummy Di Full Movie Watch Online Hd, Gateway Network, Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels Scene, Hammerhead Shark Navarre Beach 2020, Alexis Rosinsky Birthday, I'm On Holiday, Bondi Rescue Season 11 Episode 9, Luật Sư Vô Pháp Tập 1 Bilutv, How To Pronounce Burlap, Srh Vs Kkr Scorecard 2020, Blacked Out Drinking, Post Graduate Diploma In Management In Canada, Define Reputable, Khan Arpad, Brampton To Peterborough Go Bus, Mahzarin Banaji Lab, Amavas Movie On Netflix, The Joy Of The Gospel Reflection, Great White Sharks In Nova Scotia, Private 6th Form Colleges London, Riverside Museum Glasgow, The Unspeakable Song, Virginia Cavaliers Basketball, City Of Caledon Phone Number, Guess Who's Coming To Criticize Dinner, Curry Chickpea Chicken Salad, Georgetown University Master's Program Acceptance Rate, Rosicrucian San Antonio, Skip Synonym, What Does The Blue Sash Mean On Royalty, America's Most Wanted Netflix, Esoteric Etymology, 2" Ball Mount, Cottage Cheese Fat, Esperance Meaning In English, Mwbe Texas, Aces Go Places 3 Cast, Odb Return To The 36 Chambers Vinyl Record Store Day, Get Sold, Japanese Recipes, Green Peafowl Reproduction, Jobsohio Inclusion Grant, Beta Beta Beta Graduation Cords, Corax Shark Tooth, Plastic Measuring Jug Sainsbury's, Illustrious Knives Not Healing, Joe De Sena Net Worth 2020, Best Online Freshwater Fish Store, Henri Matisse Wife, Elf Matte Putty Primer Ingredients, Houses For Sale East Windsor, Nj, Ailing Synonym, Sphyrna Lewini Fishbase, Ssd Officeworks, California Bar Essays, Matty B Vip, Disadvantaged Business Enterprise List, 40 Clarence Street, Yamba, Simpsons Creator, The Flower Seller Diego Rivera, Generate Purchase Order Numbers, St Xavier University Baseball, Health Care Ethics Pdf, Jamie Oliver Personal Assistant, A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush Identify The Types Of Sentences, Catching Kingfish In Sydney Harbour, Curt Hitch, Casio Calculator App For Windows 10, Chicken Casserole Jamie Oliver Slow Cooker, Swim With Humpback Whales Jervis Bay, Oto Full Form In Banking, Endymion Definition, Tiger Shark Interesting Facts, Extreme Ownership Examples, Wonky Donkey Grandma Book, Green Peacock Images, Akbars, York, Entergy Arkansas Report Outage, Elf Daily Face Cleanser Walgreens,