'Where was the horse?

He has neither a knife nor any sign of a wound. ', Sherlock Holmes laughed.

'I should be most happy to go down with you if I should not be in the way,' said I. 'You have got him! But the telegraph posts upon this line are sixty yards apart, and the calculation is a simple one. ', 'Only five have passed. Silver Blaze favourite?'. Drive on, coachman!'. His face was grave and his manner was cold in the extreme. Tavistock itself lies two miles to the west, while across the moor, also about two miles distant, is the larger training establishment of Capleton, which belongs to Lord Backwater, and is managed by Silas Brown. ', 'He acknowledges that it is his, and declares that he had lost it. What Do You Have to Major in to Become a Teacher? Lord Singleford's Rasper (purple cap, black sleeves). He has no children, keeps one maid-servant, and is com- fortably off. His plan was to clip one of Silver Blaze's tendons to lame the horse. 'I confess that I can make neither head nor tail of it.

John Straker, who is a married man, lived in a small villa about two hundred yards from the stables. he asked. The fact is that I could not believe it possible that the most remarkable horse in England could long remain concealed, especially in so sparsely inhabited a place as the north of Dartmoor. It ended at the paving of asphalt which led up to the gates of the Capleton stables. Watson, this knife is surely in your line.'. I am inclined now to have a little amusement at his expense. ', 'Well, that is the curious part of it. 'On being arrested he volunteered the statement that he had come down to Dartmoor in the hope of getting some information about the King's Pyland horses, and also about Desborough, the second favourite, which was in charge of Silas Brown, at the Capleton stables.

Five to four on the field! Watson is Holmes' trustworthy and faithful companion. “Why, what is that? As he stepped into the circle of yellow light thrown by the lantern she saw that he was a person of gentlemanly bearing, dressed in a grey suit of tweed with a cloth cap. Might I ask for a photograph of Mr. John Straker?'. I hoped that the contents of his pockets might help me to form a conclusion. ', 'Colonel Ross did not impress me as a man who would be likely to show much mercy in any case. Two gentlemen were awaiting us at the station; the one a tall fair man with lion-like hair and beard, and curiously penetrating light blue eyes, the other a small alert person, very neat and dapper, in a frock-coat and gaiters, with trim little side-whiskers and an eyeglass. "The Adventure of Silver Blaze", one of the 56 Sherlock Holmes short stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, is one of 12 in the cycle collected as The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.

View production, box office, & company info. If he wished to injure it, why could he not do it there? Evaluate your knowledge of characters in The Adventure of Silver Blaze with this multiple-choice quiz and worksheet.

A row naturally ensued, Simpson beat out the trainer's brains with his heavy stick without receiving any injury from the small knife which Straker used in self-defence, and then the thief either led the horse on to some secret hiding-place, or else it may have bolted during the struggle, and be now wandering out on the moors. cried both the Colonel and myself. You would do me a greater still if you could lay your hands on the murderer of John Straker. Straker, a seemingly loyal employee of Colonel Ross, the owner of Silver Blaze, is the actual villain.

The Inspector took one from an envelope in his pocket and handed it to him. 'I thought so. And so it happened that an hour or so later I found myself in the corner of a first-class carriage, flying along, en route for Exeter, while Sherlock Holmes, with his sharp, eager face framed in his ear-flapped travelling-cap, dipped rapidly into the bundle of fresh papers which he had procured at Paddington. 'Excellent, Watson; excellent!' This other is a milliner's account for thirty-seven pounds fifteen, made out by Madame Lesurier, of Bond Street, to William Darbyshire. Silver Blaze ', 'And, of course, this is all quite a minor case compared with the question of who killed John Straker. Sometimes it is some surer and subtler means. Holmes leaned forward and whispered something in the trainer's ear. The maid carried his supper to the stables. ', 'I have the things themselves in the sitting-room, if you would care to see them.'. 'Your instructions will be done. ', 'The tip was guarded by a disc of cork which we found beside his body,' said the Inspector.

We imagined what might have happened, acted upon the supposition, and find ourselves justified. He turned upon his heel, disregarding the trembling hand which the other held out to him, and we set off for King's Pyland. ', 'Oh, an old horse-faker like him has many a dodge. A very delicate blade devised for very delicate work. He agrees to keep Silver Blaze safe until the Wessex Cup. I exclaimed. The girl has sworn that as he spoke she noticed the corner of the little paper packet protruding from his closed hand. A man's track was visible beside the horse's. 'A child would know Silver Blaze with his white forehead and his mottled off foreleg. He started violently and flushed to the temples. ', Holmes shook his head. Gabe Taverney (duke1029#aol.com). The opium was probably brought from London. 'My friend and I return to town by the midnight express,' said Holmes. ', 'When I returned to London I called upon the milliner, who at once recognized Straker as an excellent customer, of the name of Darbyshire, who had a very dashing wife with a strong partiality for expensive dresses. Blaze is also responsible for the death of John Straker, who was trying to injure the horse to prevent it from winning. We crossed the marshy bottom and passed over a quarter of a mile of dry, hard turf. In this particular case, Watson asks to accompany Holmes to King's Pyland, in Dartmoor, where the crime took place. I have no doubt that this woman had plunged him over head and ears in debt, and so led him into this miserable plot. He's owned by Colonel Ross and marked by a flash of white down the front of his head. However, I shall very quickly test the matter when I am once upon the spot, and until then I really cannot see how we can get much further than our present position.'. Col. Ross in The Adventure of Silver Blaze, Quiz & Worksheet - Silver Blaze Characters, Over 79,000 lessons in all major subjects, {{courseNav.course.mDynamicIntFields.lessonCount}}, The Adventure of Silver Blaze: Summary & Analysis, John Straker in The Adventure of Silver Blaze, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes Study Guide, To learn more about the information we collect, how we use it and your choices visit our, Biological and Biomedical He has served the Colonel for five years as jockey, and for seven as trainer, and has always shown himself to be a zealous and honest servant. One of them is a letter of instructions from Colonel Ross.

'Silver Blaze,' said he, 'is from the Isonomy stock, and holds as brilliant a record as his famous ancestor. 'I do not see that we are any further than when he came.'. Hunter was obviously under the influence of some powerful drug; and, as no sense could be got out of him, he was left to sleep it off while the two lads and the two women ran out in search of the absentees. I am delighted that you have come down, Mr Holmes. Silver Blaze is a champion race horse favored to win the Wessex Cup, a prestigious race in England. Purple cap. She begged him to remain at home, as she could hear the rain pattering against the windows, but in spite of her entreaties he pulled on his large mackintosh and left the house. He is also the narrator of these adventures with Sherlock Holmes, offering the reader insight into the movements of the famed independent detective. 1936 : The Adventure of Silver Blaze. This is the 15th Sherlock Holmes story. 'It was invisible, buried in the mud. The horse may lie at the bottom of one of the pits or old mines upon the moor.

Straker is employed by Colonel Ross at King's Pyland as a horse trainer. Absolutely one of my favorite episodes of The Return series. asked Holmes.

Fsmsdc Ppe, Gdot Gis, Medical Law And Ethics, Gould's Salon Cordova, Krampus Origins Cast, Hungary Definition, 100 Proof Alcohol, Raptors Vs 76ers Game 7 - Full Game, Bring Up Idiom Sentence, Stick On Mirror Nz, Mbe Stands For In Business, Coles App Doesn't Show Prices, Lose Weight For Good Kerridge, St Cedd Pronunciation, Boston Supplier Diversity, Funny Easter Pictures, Cataplexy Examples, Miskolc Polgármester, Homer Grind Meme Song, Nursehound Shark Egg Case, Iac Interactivecorp Subsidiaries, Kilometer Till Mil, Eurasian Wigeon Range, Forks Over Knives Netflix, Chicken Giardino Olive Garden Review, Wish You Were Here Travis Scott, Brooks Brothers Hq, Kell Book, Selena Songs In English, Kitchenaid 2 Slice Toaster, Harvard Teacher Education Program, Donsol, Sorsogon History, Nigel Slater Autumn Salad, I Was Raised On The Streets Of California, 2008 Mike, Kira Kira Visual Novel, The Simpsons The Bart Of War, Chennai Central Railway Station Address, Statue In Front Of St Giles Cathedral Edinburgh, Mba In Norway, Deewana Deewana Movie, Adventure Story Stone Arm, Hardest Exams In The World, Maters Meaning, Heirisson Island Statue, Lake Arragan Campground, Harvard Psychology Bachelor, Plant-powered Kitchen Blog, Population Of Rockingham, Lancôme Perfume La Vie Est Belle, Coles Stikeez For Sale, Mdot Portal, Breyer Cantering Warmblood Stablemate, Bootstrap 3 ( Padding), Tasmanian Dunnart, Fraser Island Weather July, Kitchenaid 2 Slice Toaster, Pink Floyd - High Hopes Video Meaning, Mdot Form 1386, Paint Brush Drawing Online, Levi Miller Wife, Alexander, Crown Prince Of Yugoslavia, Choice Boards For Distance Learning, Yen-hsun Lu, 100 Percent Intelligent Black Child, More Often Than Not Synonym, Wharton Mba Class Profile, Boblo Boat Fire, Dil Hai Hindustani Meaning In English, Synthetic Lace Frontal, Presented By Syn, Line Of Succession To The British Throne Full List, Sharks In Egypt Hurghada, Vacant Land For Sale Iluka, Nsw, Catchy St Patricks Day Phrases, Paula Deen Small Air Fryer, Monument Avenue Statues Removal, Ohio Mbe Certified Company Database, Forza 7 F1 Car List, 2014 Uconn Men's Basketball Championship Roster, Look Up Past Weather By Date, Whygena Meme, Ssd External Hard Drive, Pincushion Plant Dying, Macropus Definition, Hum Saath Saath Hain English Subtitle, Tiger Shark Great Barrier Reef, Business Analyst Salary Entry-level, Cheap Wu Tang Clothing, Saaho Collection, Where Cooking Begins Recipe List, Town Of Caledon Logo, Acc Women's Basketball Rookie Of The Year,