Like, that's undeniable. The employee took umbrage at not getting a raise. This expression features one of the rare surviving uses of … 2020 Bustle Digital Group.

var ch_queries = new Array( ); Online, some have taken to comparing female members of the Trump administration—especially presidential counselor Kellyanne Conway and sometimes President Trump himself—to Dolores Umbridge. Example: We spent the hot afternoon reposing in the umbrage of the porch roof. There was the recent ~sick burn~ on Trump, in which she referred to him as a, uh *ahem* Boggart. ch_height = 250; b : a reason for doubt : suspicion. On Tuesday, Rowling surreptitiously, oh so casually re-tweeted a tweet from Susie Dent, "that woman in the Dictionary Corner," per her Twitter bio. Learn more. A certain pink-loving, fascist-lite professor. Umbrage came to be used in English to mean shade or shadow, or the foliage of trees which cause shadows; for example, this piece from John Lydgate's 1426 translation of De Guileville's Pilgrimage of the life of man:...my vysage whiche is clowded with vmbrage, ‘When they tried to get him to take a pay cut in 1887 to reflect his diminished ability, he took umbrage at the perceived insult and retired.’ ‘The Home Secretary took umbrage at the suggestion that his son had told him what to do, as opposed to taking a filial interest in his work.’ ch_width = 550; ch_color_title = "0D37FF"; Previous Page. I feel like I can hear the theme song for Umbridge every time I see footage of Trump.